Tuesday, March 6, 2007

utorrent & *nix

So, I'd been using uTorrent for quite some time - excellent program! Extremely small footprint, efficient and well designed. Other than some of the sysinternals tools, I haven't seen a windoze program that is within the same class. My only beef with uTorrent is that it's not open source.

So, I recently switched away from windoze on my desktop....was on ubuntu for a while, but in the end I'm a FreeBSD kinda guy and thought I'd give PC-BSD a try. I really like it.

So, what to do for a torrent client? Azureus is a pig. I need encryption 'cause my ISP is throttling. Ktorrent? Didn't work to well....even with encryption enabled, my DL/UL rates were significantly worse than with uTorrent.

So, as it turns out, uTorrent runs on top of wine! Okay, so now my speeds are back up....but.....wine is taking up 40% of my CPU usage at all times! So much for a really efficient torrent client.

Next?

No comments: