Tuesday, April 17, 2007

homemade DVDs in a dodge caravan

Last year we bought a dodge caravan with an in-house dvd entertainment system. Great! The kid loves the wiggles and if we can make a long trip manageable, all the better. However, it seems that all my homemade movies just wouldn't play....loss of A/V sync, choppy video, it'd take 5 minutes to read the disc, most of the time it'd just fail.

I'd done some reading that implied that I needed to use DVD+R media and set the booktype to ROM so that the player would think it was a pressed DVD. So, I tried that, but the player said there was no disc.

A bit more googling led me to a groups post that said something about menus.....none of the DVDs I create have menus....it's just easier without. So, I recreated a DVD with menus, and whaddya know? It worked. Odd that the mere presence of menus affect the ability of the player to decode video and keep sync.

UPDATE 2008-01-19: seems that the stupid player doesn't like DVD+R discs....stick with quality DVD-R!

No comments: